Monday, February 15, 2010

African Cuisine and our Restaurants in London (Part 1)

African Cuisine and our Restaurants in London (Part 1)

I had a brainwave, oops a friend who is in the Social Services told me a few years ago that brainwave has been tagged as politically incorrect in the UK because it’s associated with issues of mental state, so I should have said I had a “thought-shower”… so funny…

Anyway, my “thought-shower” was to do with the fact that I was doing a self-analysis.  I know l luuurve good food, I truly delight in delicious meals and for as long as I can remember, I have always considered cooking as being very therapeutic.

I will describe myself as passionate and exploratory cook that indulges in creating almost non-existent recipes, don’t be fooled though, because my recipes are based on combination of diverse cuisine and sometimes I come up with a touch of genius that enable me cook something that is divinely heavenly.  It’s not all the time though, and that is because I never remember to write down my recipe and the implication is that I more often than not do not remember how and what I did to cook up such delicacy.

I am also out and about quite a bit, so I end up eating out because meetings get boring when you just talk with no food.  How do you treat a friend that you don’t want to buy clothes or shoes for? What do you do for someone you want to pick their brains without taking them to a bar or pub as you know you do not drink anything with alcohol? These are my excuses for eating out and there are loads more. I can almost write a book on why I enjoy eating out.

However, I am not into fast-food, they just don’t sound right or taste good on my palate, not to mention the effect of junk food that I see everyday on the streets of London, especially with those who live on fast food and no exercise planned to burn the excess weight.

I am very adventurous with food so I am comfortable eating Mexican Fajita or Spanish Paella or Tortilla, I will be equally excited about eating Mediterranean seafood or salads with some of the interesting leaves.  My food does not have to be exotic so I can handle the variety of English or French, and will be fine with the sometimes bland cuisine of the Dutch as potatoes seem to be in every dish.  The frog delicacy is the one thing I am not too keen to try J

The one food that I know hits my palate and create a different kind of excitement is cooking from “Motherland”… umm umm umm… yum yum, the thought of it alone is making me hungry as I string these thoughts together, cooking up my ideas and chewing on the thoughts as they develop into words.  I luurve African Food and I am adventurous enough to taste all of them whenever I have the opportunity.

My trips to South Africa and places visited are remembered by the food and people, I can not forget the Biltong soup, Bobotie with some Chakalaka and a bit of yellow rice on the side and of course topped with sweet dumplings for dessert.  The memories’ got my face brightening up now… J

My first travel to East Africa was at the invitation of my good friend Salim Amin and I had little time to see much in Nairobi, Kenya, but in that time I can not deny the fact that the food was wonderful.  I tried the variety of Nyama Choma, had a good go at the Ugali (Cornmeal Porridge), I could never believe that plantain could be cooked in Coconut Milk, but Kenyans do it well, and inspite of the fact that I am teetotal, I still enjoyed a pint of Tusker mixed with lemonade to give me my favorite shandy… J

I am still waiting for my first opportunity to visit North of Africa so I can associate my experience of the people with their cooking in Marrakesh, Tunis, Cairo etc… That trip should come soon, hopefully sometime this year.  I missed a chance to visit Cairo and still kick myself when I realized I should have jumped instead of allowing other engagements stop me.

As a Nigerian, with the knowledge that we have 250 odd tribes with their own cuisine and recipes, we are a mini-Africa without doubt.  I have been fortunate to have traveled the length and breadth of the country.  I schooled in the North and did my NYSC there too, I grew up in the West and did some schooling there, and I am truly lucky to have been a national secretary of a student association that saw me traverse the South and East of Nigeria, visiting practically all the institutions of higher learning.

I have tasted a variety of the food around the country from Tuwo Cinkafa from the North, ate loads of Kuli Kuli and groundnuts that I used to believe gave me pimples, tried Edikaikong and while I was in Calabar, someone joked about the meat in it being 404 (I will not bother to translate that one) J, then there are other delicacies like Isi-Ewu (Goat Head), Pounded Yam with assorted meat, we even have designer rice with sauce in Lagos J

Having said all that, the African food is a delight and our spices, whether hot or mild are truly special.  I am now on a mission to identify the best places to eat African Food in London, I love eating out and I want to let my friends know without a shadow of doubt the place to catch the best ambience, fantastic service, money well-spent food, authentic African cuisine that surely reminds one of home, clean environment you are not going to worry about food poisoning and the place you feel like its home away from home.

My first restaurant to visit is Squires, it’s just opposite the popular MacDonald’s in Canning Town off Barking Road in London.  They serve a variety of Nigerian food and only recently started serving breakfast too.  You know the Yam with Fried Eggs or Fried sauce type, the Ogi and Moin Moin with Carnation milk and all that stuff, well, they do that and more.  They are most popular for what is called ABULA, that is Amala with tomato sauce, diced assorted meat, and Gbegiri (made from beans).

I am playing this like the Nollywood film so the rest of  this continues in Part 2… to be continued… J

No comments:

Post a Comment