Monday, August 18, 2014

Pounding The Streets Of Lagos - Raising Funds For Save The Children


I have always wanted to be a soldier, believing that when you join the Army they will give you the training that turns you into a very disciplined, strong, tough and truly dynamic being. An officer and a gentleman idea is always in my head, so that when I put on that uniform, every living being will respect and salute both my courage to put my life on the line for humanity and fellow citizens of my great nation, Nigeria.


Unfortunately, I never got the chance, mind you, not for want of trying, but I was deprived the great opportunity because of the absolutely ridiculous policy called "Quota System".  I see myself as a citizen of the world, but because my late father is from Ondo State, "Quota System" made it such that a couple of my friends from the good old Federal Government College, Kano, who were from Northern Nigeria could get admission, despite scoring less points in the Nigeria Defence Academy exam than me.

Anyway, I have grown out of that and I guess I can look back now and say, may be, just may be, all things on this one turns out for good because I love the Lord and His plan for my life is different.  I am tempted to see this as a cop out when I hear people use same line.


It is this passion for discipline and fitness that has informed my decision to continue to run regularly to keep fit.  It is this fitness regime that has informed my decision to now take pare in the Great North Run marathon to raise money for a good cause.  One of those that is consistently on my heart is the Save The Children and the amazing work I see them do supporting and helping children around the world.  The wonderful work they are doing in Nigeria is also commendable, especially in Northern Nigeria where I still have loads of friends and I travel to from time to time as a result of having school out there.

I have been pounding the streets of Lagos, jogging virtually every day and on some days doing over 20KM in the morning between 5am and 7am before getting ready for work.  This will usually be a job from Opebi, through Mobolaji Bank-Anthony way to Maryland, then down Ikorodu Road to Yaba and back through the same route.




No child Born to DieAll of these because I want to prepare to raise funds for Save the Children and support their work as I strongly subscribe to one of their regular sayings "No Child Born To Die".

HomeThis year, I will do a bit more promotion than usual, and I am starting some of that through this blog and you will see some of it in the newspapers and on television as well. 


Fortunately for me, my employer, Channels Television has agreed to sponsor/support me in this adventure.  I have reasonable amount of time to talk about Great North Run, Newcastle on my Saturday morning magazine show, Sunrise and I will also talk about it on our Sports programmes like Sports Tonight with Toyin Ibitoye and Sport This Morning.

I am also fortunate to have the backing of the largest airline in Nigeria and possibly in West Africa, Arik Air.  They have donated tickets to ensure I can be part of the Great North Run Marathon in Newcastle.  They are supporting me and they did same the last couple of years, which shows that the people at Arik Air have a heart and will support a good cause.

Forte Oil
I spoke with the Group C.E.O. of Forte Oil PLC last week and I have a bit of commitment from the Oil Company to expect some amount of support for my fundraising.  I am not sure how much is small, but I know something will be done to support the great work being done by Save The Children.

I have a story to tell shortly about my experience at Verdant Zeal, check out their website and you will now why they are the way they are.  I went there for a quick meeting about "Native and Vogue" coming up soon. Just before we finished the meeting, I mentioned my run to the C.O.O. and here team of two staff working on the Native & Vogue project with her. The three of them agreed that they will ask their colleague to support me and I gave them the form immediately.  I was shocked at the end of the day when I got about N25,000 cash which was contribution from all the members of staff with the smallest donation being N500 and largest N5,000.

Watch this space for more stories and pictures and possibly videos in the coming days and weeks....

No comments:

Post a Comment